Artscape is a not-for-profit organization that
makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Artscape defines a professional artist as an individual who receives, or has received, professional recognition as defined by any one of the following criteria:
1. Has presented his/her work to the public by means of exhibitions, publications, performance, readings, screenings, or by any other means appropriate to the nature of his/her work;
2. Is represented by a dealer, publisher, agent or similar representative appropriate to the nature of his/her work;
3. Devotes a reasonable proportion of his/her professional time as an artist to promoting or marketing his/her work, including but not limited to: presenting him/herself for auditions; seeking sponsorship, agent or engagements; or similar activities appropriate to the nature of his/her work;
4. Receives or has received compensation for his/her work, including but not limited to: sales; fees; commissions; royalties; residuals; grants and awards, any of which may reasonably be included as professional or business income;
5. Has record of income or loss relevant to the exploitation of his/her work and appropriate to the span of his/her artistic career;
6. Has received professional training, either in an educational institution or from a practitioner or teacher recognized within their profession;
7. Has received public or peer recognition in the form of honours, awards, professional prizes, or by publicly disseminated critical approval;
8. Has membership in a professional association appropriate to his/her artistic activity whose membership or categories of membership are limited under standards established by the association; or which is a trade union or is its equivalent appropriate to his/her artistic ability.
NOTE: Applicants do not have to meet all the criteria in order to be considered a professional artist; however, selection committee members will use the criteria as a guide by which to make the determination of eligibility.